Call Us: (314) 266-0289 


What are the minimum qualifications to receive CDS?

To qualify for consumer-directed services, a person must be:
• Medicaid eligible (MO HealthNet eligible)
• 18 years of age or older
• Able to direct their own care
• Be physically disabled and/or have medical needs
• Capable of living independently with the services of CDS
• Require at least a nursing facility level of care.

Who determines if I qualify for PCA services?

Individuals on Medicaid will need to meet Missouri Division of Senior and Disability Services (DSDS) requirements. The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (DHSS) will assess people who meet the minimum qualifications to see if they are eligible for the CDS program. If a person is eligible, DHSS and the potential participant will create a care plan that outlines the type(s) of service(s) that you need. Once complete, they will provide a personalized care plan to A Better Life. When the care plan is received, A Better Life will help you hire the PCA of your choice and begin services within 7 days.

What types of services can I received through CDS?

CDS provides people with disabilities and/or medical needs with assistance in the following areas. 

Ostomy/colostomy hygiene
Obtaining medication
Range of motion
Meal preparation/feeding/cleanup
Errand transportation (shopping, paying bills/banking, picking up medication)
Medical transportation

Participants may qualify for some or all of these services.

How can I become a CDS participant through A Better Life Health Care Network?

If you meet the minimum qualifications, please call us at 314-266-0289. Our CDS specialist will complete a preliminary screening and refer you to DHSS for an assessment. Once approved, we will help you get your personal care attendant prepared for employment.

How much is my personal care attendant paid?

As of January 1, 2017, personal care attendants will be paid at a starting rate of $10 an hour.

Can I receive CDS where I live?

We currently support the following areas in Missouri:
St. Louis City and County
St. Charles, Franklin, Jefferson, Lincoln, Warren & Montgomery counties
Kansas City metro area

Your questions are important to us!
Call today for more information:

Serving the state of Missouri. 

Who chooses and hires my Personal Care Attendants?

CDS is a consumer-managed program. The consumer can choose the PCA of their choice, as long as it not a spouse or anyone under the age of 18. One requirement of the CDS program is that the individual who receives CDS services is the employer of the attendant. CDS Participants are responsible for locating, hiring, setting work schedules and managing their own attendants. Participants in the CDS program are trained to hire attendants to assist them with tasks of daily living. The tasks may include bathing/showering, toileting, obtaining medication, meal preparation and cleanup, housekeeping/laundry and essential transportation. CDS program participants can hire up to four personal care attendants. A CDS program participant is the legal employer of his or her PCA. PCA’s do not work for A Better Life.

Who pays my personal care attendant?

The CDS program is funded by MO HealthNet (Medicaid). Participants who receive Medicare or have private insurance are not eligible for the CDS program. A participant must be eligible to receive MO HealthNet (Medicaid) in order for the PCA to be paid. Verified and approved attendant services are billed to MO HealthNet (Medicaid) in accordance with the care plan authorized by DHSS. The PCA is paid by money received from a participant’s MO HealthNet (Medicaid) account for authorized care plan service(s) provided to the participant.

Who can become a personal care attendant?

Anyone over the age of 18, who is not the consumer’s spouse is eligible to become a Personal Care Attendant. PCA’s must pass a background check through the Family Care Safety Registry (FCSR) and the Employee Disqualification List. PCA’s must also complete an employee eligibility check. 

What does my personal care attendant need to do in order begin working for me?

All perspective Personal Care Attendants must visit A Better Life prior to being employed by a CDS program participant. He or she must present a current, original state-issued photo ID and an original Social Security card. 

Share by: